Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

September 26, 2007

How it all went down...

Some of you have asked how it all went down, if I had signs of labor and all that and I haven't posted the details yet because I didn't have my computer for the first few days and well while I am on the pain meds, things become loopy and I get sleepy concentrating on the computer screen so I needed a clear mind. Not that I am not always loopy but ya know what I mean.. haha


Sooo... I woke up saturday morning and my plan for the day was to go pick up the cake for Chuck's dads 60th bday party, get a few things done and go to the party at 2pm. Like I said that was the plan. Morgan, Riley, and my body had other plans in store for me.


I warn you now some of this may be T.M.I. for some people but you asked for details and with that said I won't leave anything out..


I woke up about 7am and went pee, as usual I go about every hour or two. That was normal until I wiped. It was slimy, and the discharge was clear with a tiny ting of brown (very little ting)

I cleaned up and went back to bed to lay down until Aiden woke up. About 8:30 I got up again cause the little man wanted out of his crib and I went pee again. It was the same. SO this got me thinking "mucus plug"???? I then went on the computer and googled the word to see what I'd come up with. A lot of sites said you may not lose it in one blob it could be a gradual thing, however a lot of people who lose theres don't go into labor right away, but it could be a sign labor is close (within two weeks). This got me thinking that hmmm if that is the case then maybe the girls will come a week early or so, now that I was 34 weeks.


As I continued to go to the bathroom every hour it was the same routine. A bit slimy, clean and wash up and go about my business, if it didn't stop after the 4th trip I would call the doc. Being that it was a saturday and all, and dad's party, and I was not having any BH's or contractions I wasn't worried and was hoping to not have to call.

On the 5th potty break I was still having discharge but this time it had blood in it. Not a lot by any means, but it was fresh bright red blood. Like I said not a lot and was mixed with the clear jello like stuff my body was creating.. Ewww


I then got on the phone and called my doctor. I told the nurse my info and the issues and she had the doc call me back. The on call returned my call in about 5 minutes and I went over it all with her again. She suggested that I come in to be checked to make sure the cerclage was still in place and make sure and not tearing and I was not in labor, but since I was not having contractions she wasn't too worried and neither was I.

I packed my bag just incase, jammers, undies, toothbrush and all that good stuff and off I went. I had Chuck stay home with Aiden and my friend Keisla (the girls godmother) dropped me off at the hospital on her way to work. (Feeling bad I might add that she couldn't stay with me)
I went in, checked in and headed up stairs to wait. I was in the waiting room about 10 mins and they called me into the exam room. The nurse to my vitals and asked me questions and then the doc came in. She asked me again what happened and I told her. I also told her I just saw my OB on Friday (the previous day) and she did an ultra sound and all was fine. The only thing that we were watching was the girls weight cause they were so different by ultrasound measurements.
She asked if my doctor checked my cervix or did any kind of an internal and I said no, so she said she was going to do one.
Out came the can opener (that is what I call it and that is what it feels like! OUCH) After 22 weeks of "being good" being examined by the doc with that god awful device is painful!!!
SO she checked and looked and could see the knot on the cerclage and it was still in place and tied. She said she could see some tinged mucus but NO active bleeding. This is good I thought!
She the proceeded to swab with one of hose huge Q-tips and all of a sudden any place she touched with it began to bleed. WHICH MEANT.. my cervix was getting soft.
She took out the torture device and said I am going to finger check. She did and then said you body is trying to dialate, the cerglage is stopping it, but the baby's head is right there (Morgan)

The next words out of her mouth were.. "So we will be doing your c-section today" Ummm WHAT??? No contractions at all, a great day, I feel fine, and I am in active labor.. Geeesh

Well I was 34 weeks and 2 days and now VERY pleased I made it this far. I called Chuck, told him to find someone to watch Aiden on bring him to the hospital and my mom will meet us and take him, and to hurry up cause in just a few hours (if that) we will be having the girls.

I called my mom, who showered and drove up. Chuck dropped Aiden off at the party and then came to the hospital. He got there about 45 mins after I called him. By this time I was already in the OR with the spinal, all preped, all set and waiting for him. They threw his scrubs on him, tossed him in the room with me and off we went.
Music playing, people chatting, a really nice and funny delivery team, some familiar faces from the NICU and we were ready to bring the girls into the world and that is just what we did.
About 15 mins after Chuck was in the room, at 4:00 pm, Morgan Kennidi Russell was out. Weighing in at 3 pounds 14 ounces and 16 inches, she was my peanut. She cried and cried and so did I with so much happiness just to hear her little voice. (I never got to hear Aiden) I was so happy and felt blessed she was ok. Then at 4:03 pm Riley Lorene Russell was here too. Weighing in at 4 pounds 7 ounces and 17 inches long, she was my big girl. She also cried and made it known she was present. Then they both joined in together... What a sound, it melted my heart!
Chuck took some pictures and got to hold them, they then brought them over to me to see and gives kisses too and off they went to the NICU.
Since they were under 35 weeks they had to go to the NICU, and this is where the new journey begins for all of us.
I am now a proud mommy of my angel Chase born at 20 weeks, my superman Aiden born at 24 weeks, and my twin girls, peanut and chubs, born at 34 weeks.

And that is my story... I am off to see them in a bit so I will update more soon.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi Jess,

I've been following Aiden's blog since he was in the NICU and I check in on this blog every day too. My DH and I are trying for another baby now and your pregnancy with your twins was awe inspiring.

I spoke with my OB this week and requested a cerclage and I really hope that my experience is very similar to yours!

I'm very glad your girls are doing so well and really appreciate you sharing your story - thanks so much and best of luck to all of you!

Sarah Furlough said...

I cannot tell you how excited I am to know that you got to hear both girls cry, that is something that most people take for granted!

You have waited a long time to have this extraordinary experience, and you deserve every happiness! I am so happy for you, Jess!