Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, October 29, 2007

October 29, 2007

Preemies.. Now you would think that at 34 weeks we'd have no issues... WRONG!!!
First off I am VERY happy to say that the girls have no major issues like Aiden had, however with that said i have discovered Morgan has an hernia just like Aiden had (in her belly button). It was never discovered in the NICU and I just thought she has an outie until the other day when i noticed it has gotten a bit bigger and when she was crying (as babies do) it pops out like Aiden's did.
I can push it back in, as I could with his too, but I'm afraid it will get big like Aiden's did and cause a problem. Are there any moms out there whos little ones had a belly button hernia and it went away..?? How big did it get and how long did it take?

I can't compare to Aiden since his was fixed by having surgery because it got stuck and never came close to correcting. Another thing I'm not sure how common it is.

Another thing my poor Morgan has is reflux that so many moms know about. she never spit up that much in the NICU, that was more Riley's thing, but now she has it pretty bad. she doesn't puke often but you can tell it comes back up and makes her uncomfortable. One minute she is so happy and the next tense and coughing and gagging.. She even coughs a lot when sleeping. I feel so bad for her.

As for Riley well (other then her crazy toes) she is fine. No hernia and although she was the "spitter" in the NICU she doesn't seem to have reflux at all.
To explain about the toes, there super long. It's like the child has hands on her feet.. ha ha
She'll be picking things up with them in no time I tell you. One of her feet has really "crazy toes" I'll have to try and take a picture with out her curling them around my finger to show you all. The base of that one foot (near the nuckles) seems to be wider then the other and she has a big gap between the big toe and the next toe. There funny and cute now but Chuck fears it could affect her foot so the pedi is going to look at it at the next appt in Nov. I'm just hoping it's nothing and that her only problem in life might be that it will not be fashionable to wear open toe shoes.. (ha ha ha)

Both the girls are eating well, Riley has seemed to caught up to Morgan who was eating about a third more then her. Now some feeding Riley leaves Morgan in the dust. They are still on 24 cal formula but I am going to bump them down to "normal calories" which is 20 starting this week. There weight gain is fine, there both eating, and doing well. They sleep pretty well most of the time however they have there moments where all they want to do is eat and between the two of them I am feeding one every hour on the hour. (That can be a bit tiring)
The longest sleep run they have gone ever is 5 hrs the shortest is and hour, but even if ones goes 5 hrs the other one is always up in between that so there are no 5 hr sleep runs for the rest of us.

Me and Chuck try to do shifts which worked well but since today is his first night back to work (he works 3 to 11) it's going to be tough and I am sure we will be more sleep deprived then we already have been.
I just have to promise myself to split the time and not try to do it all myself (my worst habit is trying to "do it all" and let him sleep when he has to work and then in the end I just feel like crap)

We often forget taking care of the kids is a full time job too.. An outside job is sometimes a break more then work..

3 comments:

Rachel said...

My Reagan was born with a hernia in her belly button. It pops out quite a bit maybe a half an inch maybe a little less, I just know it's enough that it gets Riley's attention and she tries to grab it...hehehe. Anyhow, I just have the pedi check it at her apts and she says it is very small now althought she still has an adorable outie!! She probably always will. Reagan also was my baby that started having bloody stools while in the NICU turns out she was allergic to cows milk. So I had to cut ALL dairy out of my diet so I could nurse her which turned out for the best. She has since outgrown that but has recently shown an allergy to PEANUTS we learned this after she had a pb&j sandwich for lunch hives everywhere. So watch out for that. Try not to give peanut butter until your kiddos are atleast 2yrs. old. Oh and my babies were about as early as your girls 35.4 weeks. Hope this helps. Oh yeah and I would nurse both of my babies at the same time, I kinda felt like a cow ;0) BUT one shot and I was done. Post pictures of your cuties soon!!

Lathan, Lauren, Logan, London said...

All three of mine had umbilical hernias (the boys had the boy kinds too!). Logan had his repaired during his pyloric stenosis surgery and then Lathan had his repaired when he was 55 weeks gestation.

Lathan's has come back, though I hear that's very common, but the pedi says we'll wait until he's 2 to do anything because it may go away on its own.

Lauren's went away completely on its own by the time she was about 6-9 months old. Hopefully this will be the case for you guys!!!

Surgeries Suck!!!!

Lisa said...

My son has/had an umbilical hernia. It was about 1/2 inch when he was in the NICU and is just about gone now. When he gets upset and cries, it pops out a little.